Grammar Pattern 36
English Sentences with "it"
It is very cloudy today.
Some English sentences don't have a grammatical subject, so we can use "it" as a kind of "empty subject". We often use "it" in English to talk about time and weather. Practice the sentences below and your English conversation will be much more colloquial!
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. What time is it? (It's 3 o'clock.)
2. What's it like outside? (It's cold and windy.)
3. It's a great day today!
4. It's Wednesday.
5. It's 2010. (Or "This year (not it!) is 2010".)
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. What will the weather be like tomorrow? (It will be...)
2. What's the date today?
3. Is it the weekend yet? (Yes it is. / No it's not. It's ...) boveyedu.cn
4. Is it raining right now?
5. Will it snow tomorrow?