Grammar Pattern 38
Comparing Actions in English
They must work harder. OR He can read more quickly than me.
We have two ways to compare things in English grammer. With short words, we add "-er" at the end of a word (such as "work harder" in the Model Sentence) or we use "more" before a word (as in "more quickly"). Practice the grammar points by using the sentences below.
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. We must study harder if we want to succeed.
2. You can run more quickly if you are in a hurry.
3. They spoke louder because nobody could hear them.
4. She drove more slowly to avoid an accident.
5. I will think more carefully before answering next time.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. What do you want to do more seriously? copyright BoveyEdu.Cn
2. Is there anything you can do more quickly than your friends?
3. Is there anything you do more slowly than your friends?
4. When should people speak louder than normal?
5. When should people speak more softly than normal?
6. What should people try to do more carefully?