English Grammar Pattern 47
Adverbs with "When"
We like to wake up when the sun rises.
Adverbs modify verbs. In other words, adverbs give more information about verbs. In the Model Sentence, the verb is "wake up". We can show the time of waking up by using an expression with "when" - "when the sun rises". This is a very common pattern in English, but students often struggle with it. Just practice this grammar pattern a few times, however, and you'll master it very soon.
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. I usually eat when my brother eats.
2. They normally sleep when the sun goes down.
3. She doesn't study when the weekend comes.
4. We need an umbrella when it's raining.
5. My cousin travels when he doesn't have a lot of work to do.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends! boveyedu.cn
1. What do you like to do when the weekend comes?
2. Do you always have an umbrella when it rains?
3. Do you always carry an umbrella when it doesn't rain?
4. Is there a regular time when you go to bed?
5. When do you think is the best time to travel?