English Grammar Pattern 48
Adjectives with "Who"
A good friend is a person who will help you in difficult times.
Who is "a person" in the Model Sentence above? We can use many adjectives to describe this person. In English, ordinary adjectives come before the noun - "he is a good person" or "she is a happy person". In this grammar pattern, however, we have a longer adjective that describes this person using a phrase introduced by "who". So we know this person will help others when they have trouble. This is a good way to add important meaning to your communication in English. Learn it well and use it often!
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. I have a friend who likes to jump out of airplanes.
2. My sister is a person who sleeps until noon.
3. Learners of English are people who really hope to succeed!
4. A good musician is a perfectionist who practices every day. boveyedu.cn
5. Joe is a teacher who likes to laugh.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. Do you know anybody who can fix a broken computer?
2. Do you have a friend who can play the guitar?
3. Who is a famous person who appears often on TV?
4. Are you the type of person who likes to wake up early?
5. Was there a teacher who really helped you a lot?