English Grammar Pattern 81
Simple Past using "Could"
My family could get together often before I went to university.
Grammar Pattern 81 uses "could" to express something that was possible in the past but is probably NOT possible now. It shows a contrast between the past and the present.
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. I could run faster 10 years ago.
2. She could remember everything when she was young.
3. They could easily see their children before they moved to Florida.
4. We could eat spicy food when we were younger, but not now.
5. My sister could work 20 hours per day when she was just out of university.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. What could you do well when you were a child?
2. How long could you study when you were in university? copyright BoveyEdu.Cn
3. Could you visit anywhere special when you were younger?
4. Who could you meet in the past that you can't meet now?