English Grammar Pattern 87
These lessons were put together by a teacher named Joe.
Grammar Pattern 87 is the "passive" structure in English, which uses the past form of the verb "b" plus a past participle. Don't use passive sentences too often. Only use them in formal situations or when the action is more important than the person who did it.
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. This book was written by a famous writer.
2. The movie was produced by an unknown director.
3. Mona Lisa was painted by Leonardo da Vinci.
4. The telephone was invented by Alexander Bell.
5. This amazing story was written in the middle of winter.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. Who was "My Heart Will Go On" sung by?
2. Who was the telephone invented by? BoveyEdu
3. Who was the airplane invented by?
4. Was the Sistine Chapel painted by Michelangelo?
5. Do you like movies that were directed by famous directors?