English Grammar Pattern 89
(1) Long Sentence + (2) "as if" or "as though"
+ (3) Verb Phrase
(1) We continued playing tennis (2) as if (3) it weren't raining.
Grammar Pattern 89 is a simple but useful "very long sentence". Simply start with a normal sentence pattern, then compare that using "as if" or "as though". Using "as if" or "as though" suggests doing something in a certain way, even if it's not real. Practice with the questions below and you'll get the concept. Have fun!
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. My boss listened as if here were interested. (But he wasn't!)
2. They were running as if they were trying to catch a train.
3. I worked as if my life depended on it.
4. We laughed as if it was the funniest joke we had ever heard!
5. I am living my life as if I will die tomorrow. 内容来自 BoveyEdu.Cn
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. Do you usually live your life as if you will live forever?
2. Have you ever tried to live as if you only had one week to live?
3. Have you ever talked to a boring person as if he or she were really interesting?
4. Would you ever want to act as if you were the leader of the world. (When?)
5. What would you do if you acted as if you were the leader of the world?