必修三册第五单元阅读讲解

必修三册第五单元第52页阅读讲解

THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE
百万英镑

ACT 1, SCENE 3
第一幕第三场

pound noun [C] (MONEY)
(symbol £)
the standard unit of money used in the UK and some other countries
镑(英国等国家的货币单位)

note noun (MONEY) [ C ] UK
(US bill)
a piece of paper money
纸币

act noun[ C ]
a part of a play or opera
(戏剧或歌剧的)幕

scene noun (THEATRE/FILM) [ C ]
a part of a play or film in which the action stays in one place for a continuous period of time
场景,场面;镜头

narrator noun [ C ]
UK /nəˈreɪ.tər/ US /ˈner.eɪ.t̬ɚ/
the character who tells you what is happening in a book or film
(书或电影中的)叙述者,讲述者,旁白者

bet noun [ C ]
an amount of money that you risk on the result of an event or a competition, such as a horse race
赌注

doubt verb [ T ]
to not feel certain or confident about something or to think that something is not probable
怀疑;不确定,不肯定

probable adjective
likely to be true or likely to happen
很可能真实的;很可能发生的

Narrator: Two rich brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet. Oliver believes that with a million-pound bank note a man could live a month in London. His brother Roderick doubts it. They see a poor young man walking outside their house. It is Henry Adams.
旁白:罗德里克和奥利弗这对富家兄弟打了个赌。奥利弗认为一张面值百万英镑的钞票能让一个人在伦敦活一个月。他的兄弟罗德里克则表示怀疑。他们看到一个穷困潦倒的年轻人从户外走过。此人是亨利·亚当斯。

step verb [ I + adv/prep ]-pp-
to move by lifting your foot and putting it down in a different place, or to put your foot on or in something
跨步,迈步;踩,踏

Roderick: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?
罗德里克:小伙子,请进来一下,好吗?

Henry: Who? Me, sir?
亨利:谁?我吗,先生?

Roderick: Yes, you.
罗德里克:是的,你。

Servant: (opening a door) Good morning, sir. Would you please come in?
仆人:(打开房门)早上好,先生。请进。

(Henry enters the house)
(亨利走进屋里。)

Roderick: How do you do, Mr ... er ...?
罗德里克:你好,你是......?

Henry: Adams. Henry Adams.
亨利:亚当斯,亨利·亚当斯。

Oliver: Come and sit down, Mr Adams.
奥利弗:进来坐吧,亚当斯先生。

Henry: Thank you.
亨利:谢谢。

Roderick: You're an American?
罗德里克:你是美国人?

Henry: That's right, from San Francisco.
亨利:是的,我从旧金山来。

may modal verb (PERMISSION)formal
used to ask or give permission
(用于请求许可或表示允许)可以

Roderick: May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?
罗德里克:能告诉我们你来英国干什么吗?你有什么计划吗?

as a matter of fact
[also in (actual) fact]
used to add emphasis to what you are saying, or to show that it is the opposite of or different from what went before
其实,实际上

Henry: Well, I can't say that I have any plans. As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.
亨利:呃,谈不上有什么计划。事实上,我流落英国是一场意外。

possible adjective (NOT CERTAIN)[ + (that) ]
that might or might not happen
可能的,可能发生的

Oliver: How is that possible?
奥利弗:怎么回事?

towards preposition (POSITION)
near to, just before, or around a time or place
接近,靠近;将近

carry [ I or T ]
to move someone or something from one place to another
运送;输送,传输

spot verb (SEE)[ T ]
to see or notice someone or something, usually because you are looking hard
看见,看出;注意到

Henry: Well, I had my own boat. About a month ago, I was sailing, and towards night I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind. The next morning I was spotted by a ship.
亨利:呃,我自已有一艘小船。大约一个月前,我开船出海,傍晚时,一阵大风把我刮到海上。第二天早晨,一艘船发现了我。

Oliver: And it was the ship that brought you to England.
奥利弗:这么说,是这艘船把你带到了英国。

consulate noun [ C ]
UK /ˈkɒn.sjə.lət/ US /ˈkɑːn.sjə.lət/
the office where a consul works
领事馆

consul noun [ C ]
UK /ˈkɒn.səl/ US /ˈkɑːn.səl/
an official chosen by a government to live in a foreign city, in order to take care of people from the official's own country who travel or live there, and to protect the trade interests of that government
领事

seek verb (SEARCH) formal sought | sought [ T ]
to try to find or get something, especially something that is not a physical object
寻找;寻求(尤指非物质的东西)

anyway adverb(also anyhow)
whatever else is happening, without considering other things
不管怎样;无论如何;仍然

dare verb (BE BRAVE/RUDE) [ I not continuous ]
to be brave enough to do something difficult or dangerous, or to be rude or silly enough to do something that you have no right to do
敢于;胆敢;竟敢

silly adjective
showing little thought or judgment
愚蠢的,傻的

Henry: Yes. I went to the American consulate to seek help, but ... Anyway, I didn't dare to try again. (The brothers smile at each other.)
亨利:是的。我去美国领事馆求助,但是......我是无论如何也不敢再去了。(兄弟俩相视一笑。)

must modal verb (NECESSARY)
used to show that it is necessary or very important that something happens in the present or future
必须

advantage noun [ C or U ]
a condition giving a greater chance of success
有利条件,有利因素;优势;好处

Roderick: Well, you mustn't worry about that. It's an advantage.
罗德里克:呃,你不必担心。这倒是件好事呢。

follow verb (UNDERSTAND)
[ I or T ]
to understand something as it is being said or done
理解,明白

Henry: I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.
亨利:我不太明白您的意思,先生。

sort noun (TYPE)[ C ]
a group of things that are of the same type or that share similar qualities
种类,类型

Roderick: Tell us, what sort of work did you do in America?
罗德里克:告诉我们,你在美国是做什么行当的?

mine verb (DIG)
[ I or T ]
to dig coal or another substance[/ˈsʌb.stəns/ 物质;材料] out of the ground
采,开采(煤等)

mining noun [ U ]
the industry or activity of removing substances such as coal or metal from the ground by digging
采矿;矿业

Henry: I worked for a mining company. Could you offer me work here?
亨利:我在一家采矿公司工作。你们能在这儿给我找份工作吗?

may modal verb (PERMISSION)formal
used to ask or give permission
(用于请求许可或表示允许)可以

Roderick: Patience. If you don't mind, may I ask you how much money you have?
罗德里克:别着急。不介意的话,能告诉我你有多少钱吗?

none pronoun
not one (of a group of people or things), or not any
没有一个(人或事物);全无

Henry: Well, to be honest, I have none.
亨利:嗯,不瞒您说,我身无分文。

luck noun [ U ]
the force that causes things, especially good things, to happen to you by chance and not as a result of your own efforts or abilities
运气;(尤指)机遇,机会

Oliver: (happily) What luck! Brother, what luck!
奧利弗:(兴高采烈)运气太好了!兄弟,运气太好了!

may modal verb (POSSIBILITY)
used to express possibility
(表示可能性)可能,也许

seem verb [ I + adv/prep, L ]
to give the effect[影响] of being; to be judged[断定] to be
似乎;仿佛

excuse me
used to tell someone politely that you are leaving
(用于礼貌地辞别)抱歉,失陪

ought to modal verb (DUTY)
used to show when it is necessary or would be a good thing to perform[做] the activity referred to by the following verb
(表示做某事有必要、值得或有利)应该,应当

refer to sb/sth -rr-
to talk or write about someone or something, especially in only a few words
(尤指简短地)提到,谈及,谈起

Henry: Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me! If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don't think it's very funny. Now if you'll excuse me, I ought to be on my way.
亨利:呃,对你们来说可能是件幸运的事,可对我来说不是!如果你们是在开玩笑,那我觉得并不好笑。很抱歉,我该走了。

Roderick: Please don't go. You mustn't think we don't care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.
罗德里克:请留步。你千万别认为我们不在乎你。奥利弗,把信给他吧。

about adjective (INTENDING[打算,计划])
be about to do sth
to be going to do something very soon
刚要…;行将…

go get the letter口语省略现象
=go and get the letter
or=go to get the letter

Oliver: Yes, I was about to go get the letter. Wait! (getting it from a desk and giving it to Henry) The letter.
奥利弗:好的,我正要去拿信呢。等一下!(从书桌上拿起信递给亨利)给你信。

Henry: (taking it carefully) For me?
亨利:(小心翼翼地接过信)给我的?

until preposition, conjunction (TIME)
not 瞬时性动词的否定句翻译成肯定句 until
not before a particular time or event
直到…才

Roderick: For you. (Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you'd better not open it. You can't open it until two o'clock.
罗德里克:给你的。(亨利开始拆信。)哦,不,你最好先别拆。两点以后再打开吧。

silly adjective
embarrassed; afraid that people will laugh at you
尴尬的;担心被他人嘲笑的

Henry: Oh, this is silly.
亨利:哦,这真是可笑。

Roderick: Not silly. There's money in it.
罗德里克:这并不可笑。里面有钱呢。

charity noun (GIVING)
giving money
施舍

Henry: Oh, no. I don't want your charity. I just want a job that earns an honest income.
亨利:哦,不,我不要你们的施舍。我只想要一份有诚实收入的工作。

Roderick: We know you're hard-working. That's why we've given you the letter. (to the servant) Show Mr Adams out.
罗德里克:我们知道你很努力,所以我们才把信给你。(转向仆人)送亚当斯先生出去。

what this is all about
是宾语从句的结构

Henry: Well, why don't you explain what this is all about?
亨利:呃,为什么不跟我讲讲,这究竞是怎么一回事呢?

in preposition (BEFORE THE END)
before or at the end of a particular period
在…结束之前;在…结束之时

exactly adverb副词修饰介词短语,作状语
used when you are giving or asking for information that is completely correct
精确地;确切地;完全准确地

Roderick: You'll soon know. In exactly an hour and a half.
罗德里克:你很快就会知道了。准确地说,一个半小时以后。

Servant: This way, sir.
仆人:这边请,先生。

Roderick: Not until 2 o'clock. Promise?
罗德里克:两点以后再把信打开。能答应我吗?

Henry: Promise. Goodbye.
亨利:我答应您。再见。

必修三册第五单元第56页阅读讲解

THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE
百万英镑

ACT 2, SCENE 1
第二幕第一场

hold verb (SUPPORT托住)[ T ]
to take and keep something in your hand or arms
握住,抓住

support verb [T] (STOP FROM FALLING)
to hold something firmly or carry its weight, especially from below to stop it from falling
支撑,撑起,承受

worn [wear穿;戴的过去分词]adjective (OBJECT)
damaged because of continuous use
(因为长期使用)磨损的,用坏的

Narrator: Henry is walking along the street holding the bank note in his hand. His coat is worn in several places. He sees a sign for a tailor's shop.
旁白:亨利走在街上,手里捏着钞票。他的外套上有几处破了。他看到一家裁缝店的招牌。

like verb [T] (WANT)
would like (or formal should like...)
used to say politely that you want something
想,想要,希望

suit noun[ C ]
a set of clothes or a piece of clothing to be worn in a particular situation or while doing a particular activity
(特殊用途的)套装,服装

Henry:(entering the shop) I'd like to have a suit coat.
亨利:(走进店里)我想买件西服外套。

see verb (MEET) [ I or T ]
to meet or visit someone, or to visit a place
遇见;看望;和…来往;拜访

1st Clerk: (in a rude manner) See him there. (pointing to another clerk)
店员一:(态度粗鲁)你找那个人。(指着另一个店员)

2nd Clerk: Ready-made suits? Downstairs.
店员二:成衣吗?在楼下。

Henry: (after going down some stairs) Can you show me a suit, please?
亨利:(走下几个台阶后)请给我看下西装,好吗?

here we are
我们到了(给你)

very adjective [before noun] (EXACT)
(used to add emphasis[强调] to a noun) exact[确切的;正确的] or particular[特定的,具体的]
(用于强调名词)同一的,恰好的,正是的

3rd Clerk: Yes, I can, sir. This way, please. Ah, here we are, the very thing you need.
店员三:可以,先生。这边请。啊,给你,你要的西服。

aside adverb (TO ONE SIDE)
on or to one side
在旁边;到(或向)一边

whisper verb (SPEAK)[ I or T ]
to speak very quietly, using the breath[气息] but not the voice, so that only the person close to you can hear you
小声说话;低语;耳语

quick adverb(同 quickly)
at a fast speed
迅速地

1st Clerk: (pulling the 3rd clerk aside and whispering) Mr Reid says you'd better serve him quick and get him out quick!
店员一:(把店员三拉到一边,窃窃私语)里德先生说让你最好快点把他打发走!

have verb (POSSESS拥有) [ T not continuous ]
(UK also have got)
to own
有,拥有

3rd Clerk: I know what I'm doing. I've got eyes, haven't I?
店员三:我知道自已在干什么。我又不瞎,对吧?

bright adjective (COLOUR)
strong in colour
(颜色)鲜艳的,鲜亮的

Henry: It's a little too bright, isn't it?
亨利:颜色太艳了点,是不是?

3rd Clerk: (looking at him with a frown) It's all we have in your size.
店员三:(看着他,皱了皱眉头)符合你尺码的就只有这件了。

suppose verb
used to show unwillingness to agree
(用来表示不愿意而同意)

ought to modal verb (PROBABLE) used to express something that you expect will happen
(表示期望某事发生)该,应该

do auxiliary verb (TO AVOID REPEATING)
used to avoid repeating a verb or verb phrase
(用于避免动词或动词短语的重复)
这里指代suit verb [T] (BE RIGHT)适合

Henry: Well, I suppose it ought to do for now. I'll take it.
亨利:好吧,我觉得暂时还凑合。就要这件了。

3rd Clerk: Good. Shall I put it in a box?
店员三:好的。要装进盒子里吗?

would modal verb (WISH)
would rather/sooner (also 'd)
used to show that you prefer to have or do one thing more than another
更愿意;情愿

Henry: No, I'll wear it. Oh, I'd rather not pay you now. I'd like to pay in a month. You see I don't have any small change.
亨利:不用,我要穿上。哦,我现在付不了钱。我一个月后付款。你看,我身上一点零钱都没有。

suppose verb (THINK LIKELY) [ T ]
to think that something is likely to be true
认为可能,料想,猜想

bill noun (MONEY)[ C ]
mainly US
(UK usually note)
a piece of paper money
钞票,纸币

3rd Clerk: (trying not to show he's angry) I suppose a gentleman like you only carries very large bills.
店员三:(竭力压抑着怒火)我猜像你这样的绅士身上只带着大额钞票。

Henry: Now, you shouldn't judge people by their clothes. I just don't want to cause you trouble with a large note.
亨利:你不应该以貌取人。我只是不想拿大钞来麻烦你们。

3rd Clerk: It's no trouble at all.
店员三:一点都不麻烦。

drop verb (FALL)-pp-
[ I or T ]
to fall[落下] or to allow something to fall
(使)落下,(使)掉下;丢下

Henry: In that case, there's no problem. (He gives the clerk the bank note. The clerk drops Henry's coat. Then he folds the bill and slowly unfolds it again, as if looking at something he can't believe is there.)
亨利:如果是这样的话,那就没问题了。(他把钞票递给店员。店员把手中亨利的上衣掉到了地上。接着,他把钞票对折起来,然后又慢慢摊开,好像在看一个他不相信存在的东西。)

Owner: Well, what seems to be the trouble?
店主:哦,出了什么问题?

Henry: I'm just waiting for my change.
亨利:我在等找钱。

get going/moving informal
to start to go or move
开始走;开始动身

allow me [old-fashioned过时的]
a polite expression used when offering to help in some way
让我来帮你

Owner: Give him his change, Todd. Get going… (after getting the bank note from Todd) Would it…could it be the one I saw in the papers last week? I remember thinking that never would I hold such a note as this…(to Henry) Oh, take off this coat, sir. (to Todd) Go get the others, Todd! (to Henry again) Allow me, sir! This way, sir.
店主:托德,找给他。赶快……(从托德手中接过钞票后)这……这会是我上周在报纸上见到过的钞票吗?我记得当时我还在想,我这一辈子都不可能摸到这样一张钞票……(转向亨利)哦,快点把这件上衣脱了,先生。(转向托德)去拿点别的衣服来,托德!(再转向亨利)有请,先生!这边走,先生。

wide adjective (AMOUNT)
used to describe something that includes a large amount or many different types of thing, or that covers a large range or area
范围广阔的;广泛的

range noun (SET) [ C ]
a set of similar things
(一)批;(一)类;(一)系列

option noun [ C or U ]
one thing that can be chosen from a set of possibilities, or the freedom to make a choice
选择,选项;选择权

(in another part of the shop, where there is a wide range of options for Henry to choose from)
(在店的另一侧,那里挂满了各种款式的衣服,供享利挑选)

nice adjective (PLEASANT)
pleasant[令人愉快的], enjoyable[使人快乐的], or satisfactory[令人满意的]
愉快的;美好的;满意的

Henry: This is nice, but I really don't need it.
亨利:很不错,但我真的不需要。

never mind
used to tell someone not to worry about something because it is not important
别担心,没关系

broad smile
笑容可掬,形容满脸堆笑的样子。

some determiner (PARTICULAR THING)
used to refer to a particular person or thing without stating exactly which one
某个(人或物)

just adverb
at the present time
目前,现在

indeed adverb
really or certainly[毫无疑问], often used to emphasize[强调] something
的确,实在

Owner: Never mind.(with a broad smile) Oh, it's perfect! It was made for some king but he'll just have to wait. You'll need many suits for many occasions. Yes, indeed you will.
店主:不必客气。(笑容可掬)哦,太完美了!这件是为某位国王定制的,看来他得再等一段时间了。您需要很多衣服,各种场合的都要有。真的,您需要的。

dare verb (BE BRAVE/RUDE)
[ I not continuous ]
to be brave enough to do something difficult or dangerous, or to be rude or silly enough to do something that you have no right to do
敢于;胆敢;竟敢

would modal verb (POSSIBILITY[可能性的机会])
(also 'd)
used to refer to a situation that you can imagine happening
(指想象会发生的情形)会,将

would modal verb (PROBABILITY[可能性的程度])
(also 'd)
used to refer to what is very likely
可能;大概

Henry: Wait a minute. I only came here to get a suit coat to wear today. I dare not buy all these things. You would have to wait a long time to get paid.
亨利:等一等。我到店里来,只是想买一件今天穿的西装外套。我可不敢把这些全买下来。你得等很久才能拿到钱。

why exclamation[感叹词] mainly US or old-fashioned
used to express surprise or anger
哟,嗨,哎呀(表示惊讶或生气)

Owner: A long time, sir? Why, you don't have to worry about that.
店主:很久,先生?哎呀,您不必担心这个!

3rd Clerk: Yes, we can wait forever!
店员三:是呀,等多久都行!

Henry: Well, all right. I'll take the suit coat for now and get the others later.
亨利:哦,那好吧。我先把这件西装外套拿走,过后再来拿其他衣服。

Owner: Fine, fine. Your address, sir?
店主:可以,可以。您住哪儿,先生?

Henry: I don't have one. Er… I'm moving。
亨利:我没有住处。呃……我正在搬家。

normal adjective
ordinary[平常的] or usual[通常的]; the same as would be expected
普通的;平常的;通常的

sure adjective
certain[肯定的]; without any doubt
确定的,肯定的,毫无疑问的

Owner: Of course you are! That's very normal! A busy man, I'm sure.
店主:明白!这很正常!您一定是个大忙人。

 Copyright © BoveyEdu.Cn, All rights.